Friday 8 December 2017

Fredericksburg VA

Later Thursday evening I was another part of Virginia, Fredericksburg.

Once I’d check into the Marriott and unpacked in Room 210 I headed down the street for the Spencer Devon Brewery. This destination is also a bar and restaurant.
(The place was familiar see 2015 post – link here
Returning to Spencer Devon


I enjoyed the burger and a pint of their finest IPA and also got several of questions right in the pub quiz that runs on a Thursday. Tired, I walked back up the street now twinkling with ‘holiday’ lights.

The railroads were a feature of this week. We ran parallel to them on the drive up from Roanoke.  Now freight trains hollered and wailed passing through Fredericksburg.

After work the next day I walked to the railway station. Looking down the track, into the setting sun, the rails glowed orange and gold, like some gigantic bracelet that a giant had laid down for me to marvel at.

Rail tracks in the setting sun


As I made my drawing in what was left of the light I sang a few lines from Love in Vain (from Let It Bleed 1969)

Well I followed her, to the station
With a suitcase in my hand
Yeah, I followed her to the station
With a suitcase in my hand
Whoa, it's hard to tell, it's hard to tell
When all your love's in vain

A homeless person tapped me up and I handed him a couple of dollar bills

The Fredericksburg station building had been converted; it was now ‘The Bavarian Chef’. It was and more Bavarian that Munich.

More Bavarian than Munchen


There were boys behind the bar in lederhosen and the girls waiting on table, were in their dirndls  - a dirndl comprises of a bodice, a low-cut blouse with short puff sleeves, full skirt and apron.  On the menu there was wurst und bier aplenty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comments - Tim