Saturday 20 June 2015

FIVE DAYS IN ATLANTA




DAY 1 MONDAY: HERE I AM 

I spring  out of bed at 4am and remembered where I am.

This was Atlanta, state capital of Georgia the home of Cocoa Cola and Delta Airways. Delta, dear Delta, and the airline that cancelled on me yesterday; I was a Terminal 4 LHR, staring up at the departures board and saw the word CANCELLED next to my flight. It was “like the shock of fondling a sausage at a gay party” (Viviane Stanshaw)

Before breakfast I discovered Publix (largest and fastest-growing employee-owned supermarket chain in the United States according to their Home Page), which opened at 7am. Left the store bemused by the number of magazines about guns on their magazine racks.


Atlanta, uptown, downtown everywhere sky scrapers. I am staying at The Twelve, originally an apartment block; the developers lost their nerve and turned one half into a hotel. So a lobby, separate bedroom, bathroom, kitchen/through lounge comes as standard. A washing machine and tumble drier is neatly stowed in the bedroom and a walk-in fridge and freezer is part of the kitchen. Its home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comments - Tim