Saturday 19 April 2014

THE LAND OF BICYCLES AND WATER


Warm days in late March,
Three days in Amsterdam.

Staying on the waterfront that leading to a massive expanse of water called Houthavens.

From my hotel room, a glass box like some cabin on top of vertiginous crane, I look down on barges and long low freighters in constant convoy.

Each day I walk along the Westerdok I am fearful of into the path of some cyclist going home.


A beer after work, in a cafĂ©–restaurant called De Gouden Reael,

Off the street it is cool inside and warmed by quiet conversations.
I enjoy lovely dark ale De Koninck (and it is the king of beers)
The proprietoress delicately places a small dish of nuts next to my beer.







And soon the wonderful Dutch train system whisks me back to Schiphol airport and home for the weekend.

http://www.goudenreael.nl  an excellent place to drink or eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comments - Tim