Wednesday 1 January 2014

THE FONT AND THE TEA COSY




THE FONT AND THE TEA COSY

Another covert visit,
An opportunity between the Christingle Service and Evensong,
To practise my reading for the Carol Service next week.

My rehearsal done, attention and pen are turned to the Font,
By the South Door.
The door, entrance to the Church,
The Font, admittance to Father God.

St Mary’s Font a simple Romanesque
Atop a cover of Gothic soaring up,
This impossible and quite lovely tea cosy.

Now, behind me the Sidesmen arrive,
Croupier-like they shuffle Prayer books and Service sheets.

I cap my pen and scuttle away.



The Font and The Tea Cosy is part of an occasional series exploring details in St Mary’s Beaconsfield. God is in The Detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comments - Tim